DREAMS AND THEIR MEANINGS DURING PREGNANCY
Most women find that they can recall dreams in greater detail and with more frequency during pregnancy. Also certain themes pop up in their dreams time and again, which makes them wonder about the meaning of their dreams. All of the dreams have sub-conscious meanings related to their process of pregnancy, birth and after the birth of baby. The aggravation of unpleasant or odd dreams during pregnancy is because there is an up-burst of hormones during that phase. Some say that the stress hormone cortisol can also be blamed because it tends to rise during the course of pregnancy and especially during the course of night.
Whatever the reason for weird dreams, we have come up with a few dreams and their interpretation, while researching with pregnant women.
- Dreaming about giving birth to a fully grown baby, able to feed and clothe itself signifies the pregnant women’s anxiety about caring for a helpless baby, especially in the first pregnancy.
- Driving an awkward and large vehicle like a bus or truck indicates the physical changes in a woman’s body such as expansion of belly that leads her to feel unwieldy and clumsy.
- Dreams about construction places imply the pregnant woman’s sense of her enlarging inner space, and also the baby that is being made inside her body.
- Discovering that her partner is having an affair signifies the woman’s anxiety of returning back to her attractive self, and the effects of her pregnancy on her appearance.
- Dreams about floating in your neighbor’s pool or surfing on a wave can be a reflection of physical sensations, such as feeling the baby moving in amniotic fluid or waiting for your waters to break.
- It is very common to dream about birthing something other than a baby, like an animal or fish. Dreams about cuddly, cute animals reflect a new mother’s excitement about welcoming the newborn. On the other hand unsettling dreams represent anxiety about giving birth and the new addition.
- Dreaming about the gender of your baby basically signifies that you are thinking about gender issues. Some people want a certain gender and such dreams indicate preferences even when the mum might not be realizing it.
- Dreams of birthing or unrealistic interpretations of acts like delivering in a taxi depicts a woman’s concern about losing control or getting worried about things not going normal or according to planned schedule.
- Dreams about being trapped in a building or submerged in water signify your concern about losing your freedom after becoming a parent. Despite wanting a child you have a deep concern about having a person who will depend on you for over 18 years.
It is very normal to have worrying dreams during pregnancy because of the physical and mental turmoil you are going through regarding your relationship, body changes, psychological and physical change. While moderate nightmares can be a great sign on coping and adaptation, extreme repetitive nightmares can be a signal that there is something troubling going on. If your dreams are bothering you, talk with your partner or health professional.